January, 2012 National News
Rugby India kicked off 2012 with the Callaghan Cup – All India National Division-II Tournament held at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa from Tuesday 24th to Saturday 28th January, 2012.
Despite trailing the entire game, Bhubaneshwar secured a spot in the Semi-Finals, with a well worked try to seal the win (10-7) in the dying minutes of the game.
The CUP Finals saw the strong Maharashtra State Police (MSP) team dominate the young and spirited Chennai Cubs 47-3 to win the Callaghan Cup.
Alongside the Callaghan Cup, an IRB Level One Coaching and Rugby Ready Course was conducted at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa from Tuesday 24th to Thursday 26th January, 2012.
The Course received an overwhelming response with a total of 38 participants, from across the country, attending the 3-day workshop.
Similar Training & Education workshops will be carried out in different parts of the country through the year.
A demonstration match, featuring Under-14 Boys & Girls, to introduce Rugby was conducted by the Western India Rugby Football Union (WIRFU) at Walchandnagar on Sunday 29th January, 2012.
Walchandnagar, a modern township, about 130 km from Pune has a well established residential colony of 2500 houses and 2 schools (both English & Marathi medium) with 3000 students and 120 qualified teachers.
The demo match, witnessed by over 1,000 children, was organized with the aim of introducing Rugby as part of the curriculum in the Walchandnagar Schools.
|Date of Birth:||08/04/1986|
| Position Played: ||Lock / Backrow|
| Club Team: ||Bombay Gymkhana|
|International Debut:||22/06/2004 vs Sri Lanka at the Asian Triangular in Mumbai|
- Captain of the Indian U-19 team from 2004 – 2005
- Represented the Indian 7-a-side team at the Asian Games in Doha in 2006
- Represented the Indian 7-a-side team at the XIX Commonwealth Games in Delhi, 2010
- Represented the Indian 7-a-side team at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China in 2010
- Gold Medalist at the National Games of India representing the Maharashtra State
- 7-a-side team in Guwahati, Assam in 2007 and in Ranchi, Jharkhand in 2011
- Represented a foreign club – London Scottish RFC, England, UK (2009 – 2010)
- Represented a foreign club – North Shore RFC, New Zealand (2010 – 2011)
- Represented a foreign club – Kobe Steelers RFC, Japan (2011 till date)
- Has also been part of the Indian National 7-a-side team on numerous occasions
- Started playing rugby at the All India level in 2003 - representing the Bombay Gymkhana
You can now follow us on FaceBook www.facebook.com/rugbyindia The Official FaceBook Page of the Indian Rugby Football Union
Indian Rugby Football Union
Nawab House, 2nd Floor, 63 M. Karve Road, Marine Lines, Mumbai-400 002. India